Where to Find Owl Be Crafty:

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Yeti Birthday Card

Hello! For today's card, I was inspired by the sketch over at the CAS(E) This Sketch blog and a little scene I had in my mind for this adorable little yeti image from Lawn Fawn's Lovable Legends set.


I started by coloring the image with Copic markers and then fussy cutting it out. I next die cut a couple of stitched hills and the little forest tree line to help create a snowy night scene. For the background panel I was inspired by this photo of the Northern Lights:


I grabbed five different colors of distress inks, a piece of distress watercolor cardstock and got to work creating a nice Northern Lights ink blend. For the stars, I flicked on some white distress paint and a mix of perfect pearls and water. It gave me a variety in the size and shape of the "stars."
Once the piece had dried completely, I ran it through my Big Shot machine using a stitched rectangle die. I also cut the hill pieces with this die so that there was a uniform stitched line all the way around the piece. At that time,

To assemble the scene, I adhered the tree line and back hill flat down to the sky piece. I used foam tape to pop up the front hill just to give it a bit more dimension. I also popped up the Yeti. For the balloon, I used another Lawn Fawn die and some awesome iridescent foil paper from Recollections. (It was a holiday special so unfortunately no longer available. I linked a comparable one below.)  I love how it looks like the Northern Lights. So pretty in person but hard to capture in photos.

I tied a piece of black and white twine around the balloon and draped the end down to make it look like the Yeti was holding it. My final touches were small star sequins and a bit of Wink of Stella on the hill tops & tree tops to make it look like shiny snow. Here's a close up:


I really liked the way this card came together. I think the image is super cute and hopefully the recipient will think so too! I'm adding this card to the link up over at the CAS(E) This Sketch challenge blog. They provided this great sketch for inspiration. Be sure to check out all of the great entries!



My Supplies:


1 comment: