Where to Find Owl Be Crafty:

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Bellarific Friday - Sketch Challenge

Happy Weekend Crafters! Today I have a fun interactive card to share with you for this week's Bellarific Friday Challenge which was the following Mojo Bella sketch. I was inspired by the circle in the sketch and thought it would be a perfect spot for a spinner element.




I started by selecting an image where I could incorporate a sentiment on the back. This little MAIL CHICK image was perfect! I stamped the image onto a piece of X-Press It blending card with Simon Says Stamp Intense black ink. I then inked it up again but used a baby wipe to take off the details in the middle of stamp so I was just left with a blank envelope. I did some super simple Copic coloring on the two images and then fussy cut them out. I had to hold them back to back to ensure that they were very close to matching. I could have done some mirror stamping to make it perfect but it definitely would have taken some time. I think I got them pretty close and I was satisfied with the results. I also added a bit of glossy accents to the chick's beak and some Spectrum Noir clear glitter pen to the little heart. 

Here are the colors I used and a close up of the details:


Next, I chose my background patterns, cut them down to size and adhered them to my card base. I then selected a window circle die cut that had some fun stitching detail and lined it up in the center. When I ran this through my die cutting machine, I made sure the cutting plates were not on the back panel of the card base so that one, I would NOT cut a circle in the back of my card, and two, I wouldn't have any indents or lines from the cutting plates on the back panel. Important step, lol!

Once the circle was cut, I trimmed down a piece of white card stock just slightly shorter than the A2 size panel and cut another circle. This was for the inside of the card so that I would be able to hide where I adhered the thread. You need to cut this panel a little bit shorter because if it's the exact same height your card won't close nicely.

Next, I assembled my spinner element by sandwiching a piece of silver thread between my two envelope images. You have to make sure the thread is longer than you need so you have some wiggle room and can adjust and cut it down to size.

I then laid the image with the thread across the inside of the card panel and centered it over the circle. I pulled the thread fairly tight and used some scotch tape to hold the top and bottom pieces secure. I then added a piece of white grosgrain ribbon across the front wrapping and taping the ends onto the inside panel to secure them. Next, I adhered the white panel with the circle on the inside of the card panel covering where I had taped the thread and ribbon. This provides a nice clean inside when the recipient opens the card. 

Here's a peek of what the inside of the panel looked after it was complete. 


Now for the fun part! Before you close the card, you turn the spinner element a few times to get it "wound up," then close the card. When the recipient opens it the image will spin around showing the sentiment. Here's card in action:


So fun!! I just love adding little interactive elements to cards. It something unique that is a "wow" for the person receiving it. Hop over to the Stamping Bella blog and see what the rest of the BellaBabes created using this sketch as inspiration. Also, if you would like to participate in Bellariffic Fridays for a chance to be entered into a monthly drawing to win some Bella Bucks click on the link below for more details.

Next week's Bellariffic Friday challenge is "FRIENDSHIP." This should be a super fun one and an opportunity to create something for the special friend in your life. Hope you join along and create something with us! Oh and if you haven't heard, the new release images are available on Monday, Janaury 16th!! WOOO HOOO!! Check out all of the sneak peeks on the Stamping Bella blog and be sure to pop over to the store Monday to go shopping! Have a wonderful day and I'll be back soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment